Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad that you've stopped by to visit. This blog started with Paper Crafts but since that road leads to so many others it has since become a place for all types of crafting adventures from card making to DIY home projects. Scroll down on the right to find posts by labels and dates or try my search bar to find your inspiration.

Happy Crafting!


Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fabric Paint & A Canvas

Fabric Paint & Canvas
So just like the picture above says, the big deal about this is using Fabric Paint to make your design for your canvas,—no Silhouettes, or Stencils or the ‘using sicker letters and peeling them off’,—Here’s a brief explanation of what I did:

I created this canvas as a gift for my mom.  My son calls her “Mamaie” (Ma-mai-eh) which is Grandma in Romanian and their favorite song to sing together is “You Are My Sunshine” and so this little canvas was born.

I prepped my canvas and painted it with Acrylic paint.  I was going for it to look like the sun was rising and chasing away the darkness; my mom thought that it looks like the deep ocean and then coming into the shore and the sandy beach.  Either way I just painted it by plopping a ‘blop’ of acrylic paint in the section I wanted it, one each of blue, turquoise, and yellow, and then blended them across the canvas horizontally and then down into each other.

I put the canvas aside to let it dry.  In Photoshop I created a little subway art with the words of “You Are My Sunshine” that I wanted on the canvas.  I printed it out on plain paper.
Mamaie Subway Art
Grab a FREEBIE on my Facebook Page under my “Exclusive Content” tab.  Get your own “You Are My Sunshine” Subway art.


Then I grabbed my dimensional Fabric Paint
Tulip Slick Fabric Paint
and a piece of wax paper.  I lay my subway art down on the table and laid my wax paper over top and taped it down a bit so it wouldn’t move on me.  Then I got to work tracing the words in Fabric Paint onto the wax paper.  (When doing this you want to make sure that you’re not going too thin with the fabric paint so it’s easy to peel off the wax paper when it dries.  If the paint is too thin then your letters/art may rip or stretch out.)

I also printed out a little abstract doily that I traced too.  I let them dry for a couple hours.  Once dry, I began to peel the letters off and arrange onto my Canvas the way I wanted.  When I was completely happy with it (I had to make sure cause after the next step there was no going back) I grabbed my Mod Podge (I LOVE this stuff) and went over the letters and doily to glue it all down.  You may need to hold onto the letters with your finger or the end of a paintbrush so wen you brush the Mod Podge over top you don’t pick up any letters—they’re a pain to straighten down again.  After the letters and my doily were dry I covered my entire canvas with Mod Podge to seal it. 
You Are My Sunshine
Voilà!  My beautiful canvas! 
Now depending on your canvas and what type of finished sides it has you may be satisfied and move on to another project.  Well I wasn’t satisfied. So…
Border
…I grabbed some pretty cardstock and cut strips to match the width of the sides of my canvas and Mod Podg-ed it on;  then sealed the sides with another coat on top.  Gave my canvas a pretty ribbon effect all around…also hid a couple ugly staples (I hate it when they staple canvases on the side!)
There now you have your own beautiful piece of art and I’m sure many more will be on the way…at least for me they will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment